Thursday 15 July 2010

The end is only the beginning...

For the past six months (I'd like to reiterate: how can it already be six months??) I've been working at Joose TV, an internet television company based in London. And the other day the boss asks me, "What have you learnt since being on Cascade?" So I gave it a little thought and soon realised the list is pretty extensive. I mean, to put it at even the most basic level, this is the first time I've worked in an office let alone for a production company. So of course my time at Joose has left me with a multitude of skills I'll certainly need to pursue a career in production but equally many that are applicable to daily life. In summary, I've learnt a lot. I think you get the point.

Cascade opened doors and now I'm in a position I never thought I'd be one year on from graduating. Joose have been great at creating opportunities for me and getting me involved in every side of the production process so I can have a real appreciation of how the team works. I now know what I need to be thinking about even from the very early stages, as Production Assistant, liaising with the Producer/Director in the planning and coordinating projects. For me, it has been a particularly invaluable experience working for Joose because I am able to soak up their expertise in social media and interactive platforms, which I believe will stand me in good stead in the future of television. Even just having the confidence to sit in our website development meeting today and throw ideas out there - however stupid, expensive or seemingly impossible - is a good feeling.

To receive training as part of the paid internship has been so beneficial. It's a unique opportunity to be working in the industry and having courses in everything from research skills to camerawork and editing on the side. We've had some brilliant trainers and speakers, including BBC's Andrew Snell and BBC Commissioner Maxine Watson. My favourite session was on Cross Platform Media - given a 360 brief, coming up with an idea to pitch to media consultant Mike Greenwood and Nick Lockey from Maverick TV, plus working with a Web Designer to create site mockups. It was all very Apprentice. And, in TV, when do you ever get to practice something like that?



Ultimately, Cascade training gives us interns the time and space to learn, practice, make mistakes, re-learn and grow in confidence. It means we've got the skills on paper but we've also had the chance to apply these at work.

And really, that's why the end is only the beginning. As Annabell says in the post below, "I know and trust that anyone who goes through the course will have the skills it takes to make it!" So though it's sad that Cascade is coming to an end, I know that our network will continue to exist - we'll share contacts, we may even work together, and all the trainers and mentors will always be happy to stay in touch and advise us on our next moves. We all know we want to work in TV, and now, we all know we can do it too. So here's to the beginning; still Cascadians forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment